Christine on HGTV

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

HAUTE HATS!

I mentioned in my previous posting that I had desires to be a milliner when I first started designing fashion and accessories.

Well...I found the following incredible hats on one of my favorite blogs "Ullabenulla". I am just loving the freedom these hat designers have. It's incredibly inspiring!

I'm not naming each designer(see above referenced site), because they know who they are. I just want to share my appreciation for their work by posting their pictures. Not trying to claim that they are my designs or nothin' like that...I just love the pics!

This is called a Catepillar Hat. I guess we can see why.



This is the singer "Beck" (Miss Swan suit wearing freak) wearing her unusual style choices. I love these.


This is just "Faerie" beautiful to me.

This woman is from Finland...I wonder if my sister-in-law, Paulina, has ever seen her work. I'm loving that poncho/vest she's wearing.

ISABELLA BLOW

Here is another "Fashionista" that I find quite interesting. Check out her eccentric style. Are all the freaks coming from England these days? Is England the originator of Freak-Du-Jour?

Hat designs by Alexander McQueen.





"Isabella Blow, style queen and promotor of fledgling designers including Alexander McQueen, has been a walking billboard for years. Now she's getting her own exhibition at the Design Museum. Tamsin Blanchard takes her hat off to a true English eccentric." (quote taken from Ullabenulla)

IF FREAKS RULED THE WORLD

I found this crazy site called the "Blitz Kids" and they have an entire photo catalog of freaks. Man, these people live in a world that has no boundaries whatsoever....I guess that's what living out your fantasies means right?

Kevin Aviance is the first one I saw. And I tell you it happens every single time!!! I will find someone, or some thing (weird, unique etc.) on a website, and the next thing I know...I see them on TV, in the Newspaper, or in a magazine.

That's what happened with Kevin Aviance. I found this incredible photo of Him/Her "HESHE", and the next thing I know, he's on tv (America's Next Top Model) judging a hair show (I think it was the hairshow episode). I couldn't believe it!

This picture is kind of RuPaulesque, and it is awesome to me. I would never have thought to take make-up to this level. But that's exactly why I find it awesome....it inspires me to think outside my little box (hate that phrase but it's so appropriate). The only other time I've seen this kind of face art is with the new stick on glitter/rhinestone accents resembling what women in India put on their faces.

On this same note, I rented a videotape of Ntozake Shange's "For Colored Girls.."which was produced way back in the early 70's I think, and a very young Lynn Whitfield was in a scene where she had glitter and rhinestones on her face and body. When she took a bath...the jewels were left in the tub.....incredibly beautiful and sensuous. I fell in love with that scene. When Miss Lynn was walking down the street, and she knew she had it going on, the jewels were sparkling in the sunlight. I have never been one to dress "over the top." Maybe one day...when I'm a full fledged artist outside the corporate world. I said maybe!

I know, I know...there are lots of queers in fashion and art, so it's no surprise. (These days we're finding out that they're everywhere (Republican Congressman Foley anyone....so there.)

I guess I just love the Theatrics of it all.....the "Tranny's" (Transvestites), Drag Queens, Female Impersonators, Queens etc. are some of the most colorful people in the world. I say let them live in their world and do the damn thing the way they "think" it should be done. I don't condone or condemn these people. I believe we're all here for a reason...they choose to entertain themselves in the way that they do and we get to watch. (teehee)

I have this videotape of a show I recorded from HBO years ago that followed a bunch of Female Impersonators on the road, and it is the most hilarious piece I have ever seen. These people make a great living doing what they do....(RuPaul, Birdcage, La Cage Aux Folles...etc.). Somebody other than Gays and other gender benders enjoys watching them in person at their clubs or at festivals. Ooh..I guess I'm one! LOL

I cannot deny that I love the spectacle and their enthusiasm, because it seems that they just want to have fun. Their costumes are so extravagant, which more than matches their personas....they are IN IT TO WIN IT! Heeeeyy! (Two snaps!)

It's like when I first saw "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". I was just awestruck with the costumes and the characters. I am a big fan of Avante Garde and so I watched a lot of Cinemax and films on the Indie cable shows...you come across a lot of unusual stuff. Not to forget, "To Wong Foo, Thanks for everything, Julie Newmar". These two feature films had ensemble casts with the likes of Terrence Stamp, Guy Pearce, Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes, and John Lequizamo respectively. There's something to be said about impersonating a female in the performing arts...men love women!!

I mean who are we kiddin', female impersonators/gays/gender benders are a part of society and have been since the days of King Arthur's court...Court Jesters, Commedia Dell Arte. So the tradition is long and exclusively theirs...and there are no signs of it ever slowing down.

Fashion certainly leads to roads unchartered.....Ha,ha,ha,ha!


No comments:

BEZEM Y MAI LAN FASHION SHOW