Christine on HGTV

Monday, July 09, 2007

SEVEN-SEVEN-"O"SEVEN (7-7-07- 07-07-07)

This past Saturday was a record day for weddings because of the "lucky" date - the Seventh day of the Seventh month of the year 2007. I attended my cousin Eileen Christopher and Reverend John Miller's wedding.

THE BRIDE AND GROOM JUMPING THE BROOM!!













Purple...It's the color of Royalty.


It was a very nice event, and was well attended. The family wishes you all the best!

















AUSTIN CITY LIMITS CONCERT SERIES FEATURES....
This past Friday night, I got home from choir rehearsal and decided to find something interesting on tv. About 5 months ago I had come across some PBS and Telemundo stations that I had not ever known was available on regular tv. So I made a list of all the stations and decided to see what was on.

I found a "Twilight Zone" episode that was just beginning so I watched it. It featured a very young Dennis Weaver in the title role as a man in court who continues to relive his sentencing and ultimate electrocution over and over again. I kind of remember it from many years ago. It reminded me of Ground Hog's Day with Bill Murray, but in this version, the cast kept changing roles....so Dennis Weaver had to keep retelling his story again and again to the people who were now different characters in the show. It was a good episode.

Anyway, around about Midnight...that's when either really good things happen, or really bad things happen :0) In my case it was a VERY GOOD THING that was about to happen. I switched channels and saw a preview for the concert series "Austin City Limits". It would be coming on next and the artist featured was Corinne Bailey Rae. Oh my goodness!!

Now years and years ago I remember watching this show and saw another person who's music I have come to appreciate - CJ Chenier, Mr. "Zydeco" himself. It was the very first time I had ever heard of Zydedo music and I was sold on the music back in 1992. I loved the way he worked the accordian. I recently saw CJ Chenier at this year's Bayou Festival in Long Beach. He put on a great performance. I was sick, but I waited for him to come on because I had remembered him from that very first time I saw him....I'm loyal if nothing else.






CJ Chenier with accordian








The Long Beach Bayou Festival was in a different venue this year, but everyone seemed to have fun. I wish I had felt better!

Corinne Baily Rae
I know I've been ranting and raving about Amy Winehouse, but I love Corinne!! As a matter of fact, when I went in to Best Buy electronics' store I wanted to get Corinne's CD, but the budget wouldn't allow it. Amy's was on sale, so I got hers first....however, after the concert Friday...I know I'll definitely be getting Corinne's.

Corinne's performance was stellar, and she's an accomplished guitarist. Her voice is very versatile and I like the lyrics of her songs. I think she sang about 6-7 songs, and each one was better than the one before. She did this one song that started out very slowly, and she had given a little background on the song. She used to play with this all girl group called "Helen" and they did some rock tunes, and one song in their repertoire featured a song by Led Zeppelin. So by the time this particular song ended, the guitarist was whaling Led Zeppelin and it was a great song.
She gave an interview at the end of her set and I hope this young woman has a long career doing what she does. She is a breath of fresh air and I believe she will have longevity in the music business if she continues on her patch.

KT Tunstall


So the next artist on the concert bill was KT Tunstall. They did a preview of this artist but didn't state the name. From the moment I heard her voice....I knew who she was. This young woman has two songs on two featured movies...maybe there are other songs out there too, but these two songs are very recognizable.
The first recognizable song is from the movie, "Man Of The Year" featuring Robin Williams. Robin and this woman are out on the dance floor hopping around, and the song is playing. The opening of the song's lyrics are "Whoohoo...whoohoo...whoohoo!! It's called "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree". The lyrics are hard hitting and moving at a steady tempo.

As KT and her group performed this song, they started out clapping and whoohooing. The song is very upbeat and it makes you want to get up and dance, or in Robin's case "hop" around. :0) I liked the movie ok, but I was really drawn to this song because it was funny to see them dancing the way they were.
Song number two is featured in my very favorite movie this year, "The Devil Wears Prada." It's the opening song called "Suddenly I See". To see her perform it in person was a treat. She is very accomplished on the rock guitar and plays percussion too. She has a Janis Joplin like voice and she's the first rocker - ok after Bonnie Raitt, that I would really consider buying a CD of.

I was thrilled to pieces to be able to see these two artists singing my favorite tunes and I just happened to be channel surfing. I'll be checking the Austin City Limits website so that I can check their schedule of performers. I want to download this concert or order it too. What a treat!! :0)

No comments:

BEZEM Y MAI LAN FASHION SHOW