Christine on HGTV

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

HOW YOU DOIN? OH I'M SEW, SEW...

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful weekend I had. I could not have asked for more fun and adventure.

On Sat. my sewing buddy, cousin Dena, and I embarked on a day of sewing and creating projects because we've recently launched a website www.kissnkuznsdesigns.com and also want to get ready as vendors for the upcoming Jazz festivals that will occur in the summer.

However, before we got started sewing, she and I went shopping at a great Thrift Store in Inglewood, CA. Dena and I have similar tastes, but that day we each found very unique and wonderful items. And the best thing of all.....EVERYTHING WAS HALF OFF!

I found this awesome vintage dress in an iridescent green and purple. The collar is what caught my eye! This picture is good, but in person it's awesome.



Dena found the dress and wasn't exactly thrilled with it, but what we sewing fanatics do sometimes is buy the item for the fabric, and that's what I wanted to do - utilize the collar on something. However, when I tried it on...I loved it so I kept it. I paid all of $3.00 for it.

Then, Dena found this great short peacoat in a Camel color. It has some gorgeous buttons on it and fit her to a T! She also found 2 skirts and a blouse.

I found a great patchwork purse (1.00), a patchwork halter ($1.00) and a wonderful beaded dress ($3.00). This dress was way too small, but the beadwork on the bodice was to dye for! LOL So I bought it and will cut away the dress and wear the upper half as a top.

After shopping we ate lunch, while watching a movie. We really didn't do much sewing by this time, but brainstormed on some names for our products. All-in-all it was a great day to shop, lunch and talk shop.

Our friend Lou invited us to her co-worker's performance in San Pedro, so we got dressed and headed to her house, and then to San Pedro to the La Conga Bar & Grill.

QUEEN OF THE SALSA...ONE-TWO..CHA,CHA,CHA!

The featured bands were Azteclan and one other band (we didn't stay)....but all were former members of groups like Tower of Power, War, Tierra, James Brown's band and Carlos Santana's band.

We ate chips, salsa, and guacamole dip and and danced. The band was really, really good. Some friends of Lou's came and that's when the excitement began.



This guy, Ramon (I think that was his name :0), came with two other ladies; Gloria and Marisol. Ramon was a dancing fool! He took Dena and me out on the dance floor and wore us out! Actually, Dena only danced with him once because when he found out that I could keep up with his moves ....I was his partner for most of the night. I mean he danced me into hot sweats and weak-kneed convulsions. Everyone was surprised that I did so well...but I knew I could hang....I'M A DANCER!! :0)

When we began dancing, Ramon asked every lady at the table to dance with him. They all declined. I love to dance, so I got on the floor with him. Little did I know that he would spin me into oblivion.

Here we are doing the damn thang!

Ramon and I danced so well together, the band gave us a free CD. I chose a "Mambo" CD.


While he and I were dancing, he would bury his head next to mine (and because he was shorter than me) and guide me across the floor at a steady pace....after watching the two of us doing that kind of dancing, his friends finally got up and starting dancing.

At one point the music was so good, Dena and I got up and did the electric slide, and this other woman joined us. Just the three of us danced and we had a ball.

Gloria finally got up and danced with him, but a few of us suspect that Gloria became a little jealous of us dancing, because before the band ended she was ready to leave.

Ramon and I hugged and promised to meet again one day...I hope that he comes alone, and I'll know to be ready for a night of Salsa dancing that will leave me sweating and breathless.

KEVIN WOMACK & FRIENDS

Sunday night was Oscar night. Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy were both up for Best Supporting Actor/Actress awards, but only Jennifer won (WHOOHOO!).

We were invited to an event at the Celebrity Centre in Hollywood featuring the singer Kevin Womack, a friend of Dena's. When we got there, I realized I had been to this beautiful facility before.




My acting buddy, Ken Foster, invited me in 2005 to attend an awards dinner hosted by Mai Mai Ali, Muhammad Ali's daughter who is a rapper and singer.

It was the COLSAC awards, and Brock Peters was honored that night. Ken and I even took pictures with Mr. Peters.

This event was a charity to benefit Domestic Violence programs, and was basically a talent showcase for Kevin and his friends.

A comedian hosted the event, and then there was a couple of skits about Domestic Violence. Then an up-and-coming Female Rapper by the name of Rain performed two songs.




Another comedian by the name of Stixx performed too. He was pretty good.









Throughout the evening, prizes were raffled off. There were some good ones too.

Our friend Michele won a nice bath set. Shortly afterwards, Dena and I ran to enter our names into the drawings.







Michele and her bath set.




And when the next drawing came up, Dena won a certificate from Baker's Square.


Dena leaving stage after winning gift certificate.

She said to me that now I needed to win, and after a couple of other winners, my name was called too.















Smile for the camera Dena!

I mean it was amazing how quickly we won after we entered our names in the raffle. I won a gift certificate to Marie Callendars. The photographer rarely gets their picture taken. :0(

The entertainment was pretty good, but the production was a bit on the amateurish side. What really made us cringe was how the Producer kept walking on stage in the middle of Kevin's peformance. She would brought him water right when he was singing (and they were videotaping the entire event).

Then, she stood on stage next to his background singers and just danced and sang the song like she was part of the band. It was totally ghetto and unprofessional. We could not believe it! It was a night I will not soon forget.

No comments:

BEZEM Y MAI LAN FASHION SHOW